Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cry me a River

It's Day Four of the Alex Rodriguez Steroid Drama and I'm tired of it already.

In a completely staged and restricted 30 minute interview with ESPN baseball guru Peter Gammons, Rodriguez admitted he took steroids while with the Texas Rangers in 2001-2003.  Sort of.

A-Rod and his PR team were very careful to never have him flat out say, "I took steroids."  We'll never get that sound bite from him.  Instead we got "I did take a banned substance."  

 "When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure.  I felt like I had the weight of the world on top of 
me and I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day."

Wah wah.  

I'm so sorry.  I'm sorry that Tom Hicks gave you a quarter of a million dollars to play a game for a living.  I'm sorry that you were, at 26 years old, already being widely considered as the best all-around player in the history of the game.  I'm sorry that countless little kids bought your jerseys and wanted to be just like you one day.  I'm sorry.

Are we supposed to believe you didn't know what you were taking?  That for three years you took a "banned substance" and never bothered to look at the label?  He also claims that he didn't know he had failed the drug test until Sports Illustrated contacted him for comment on the story last week.  However, according to the Mitchell Report all 104 players on the failed list were notified three years ago.

"When you take this gorilla and this monkey off your back, you realize that honesty is the only way," Rodriguez said.  "I'm finally beginning to grow up.  I'm pretty tired of being stupid and selfish, you know, about myself.  The truth needed to come out a long time ago.  I'm glad it's coming out today."

It seems like all that came out were excuses and more lies.





No comments: